Tuesday, March 04, 2008

job hunting in Calgary

Makes no difference where I go / You're the best hometown I know / Hello Calgary, hello Calgary (eeee!) / Channels 2 and 7 love youuuuu
Well I hope someone out there besides me remembers the TV jingle above. That was from back in the day when Calgary's Global station was independent CFAC, KangaROOS sneakers and fluorescent legwarmers were all the rage at school, and the city skyline looked a bit like this:
When I reached my mid-20s I was a little dismayed to discover that the fondly-remembered Hello Calgary jingle from my misspent youth was in fact part of a prepackaged image campaign used in numerous cities across North America. Hey! Awww...

Now, returning home to Calgary after an 8-year-haitus, it's surprising to see how much has changed. Of course I've changed too, mind you, and for the better. Still, it's got me thinking. Is Thomas Wolfe right? Can a person really come home again? Did I shake the dust off my sandals when leaving in '99, take my fill of life in the big Asian city, then return expecting to find a place that no longer exists any more?

Calgary is in fact bigger and better than I remember it, though the prices and the traffic take some getting used to. To address the former challenge, I need a proper job. Catch me in my natural habit of late and you'll see me e-mailing resumes with machine gun frequency, working a part-time retail job to feed the family, doing the odd interview, and wearing a sandwich board on downtown streetcorners during weekday lunch hours. OK one of those isn't true. And soon when I get that proper job, none of them will be. Wish me luck!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Gareth,

This is Diane from ORTV. How have you been doing?

Calgary...did I tell you I have been there? I think I did. I did not get to explore that city really carefully, though. Well, I wish you all the best in your job hunt. May God be with you and guide you in every step!

BTW, you have a great blog!

Anonymous said...

Hi there! I don't know you - but you've just helped me out so much! Your blog came up on a websearch I did for the "Hello Calgary..." song, and then I spotted the photo you had of the skyline from when the tower was the tallest building - I have been trying (to no avail) to find a photo just like that for my son's grd 1 class (they are studying the history of Calgary, incl. the tower)! Thank you so much! Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

Hi - I'm new to 'blogging', etc., so, I'm not sure how to go about this... is there any way I can contact you by email? I'm wondering if I can get a better (ie; higher resolution) digital 'copy' of that old Calgary skyline picture? Also, when was it taken?
Thx!